The West King Merchant Association, comprised of merchants along W. King St. and its side streets, organized recently with about 24 members who are dedicated to the recognition of the West King St. business area.
Last year when W. King St. was improved with new underground utilities and a new roadway the already limited on-street parking was not replaced. Without much needed parking, merchants decided to seek assistance from the City of St. Augustine for increased signage and parking.
New signs were recently installed to help give a “branding of the area” stated Rob De Piazza, owner of Screen Arts. De Piazza designed the signs for the association which were presented to the city for approval.
The signs were installed to identify the boundaries of the business district with one sign placed at the corner of U.S. 1 and King Street facing east and the other placed at the corner of West King and Pellicer Lane facing west. The signs, pictured above are approximately 24” x 18”.
The City of St. Augustine will soon sign a lease agreement to install a parking lot approximately mid-way on W. King St., between U. S. 1 and Palmer Ave. It's anticipated that the coquina lot will hold about 20 vehicles which will encourage and accommodate the public.
For more information contact the Department of Public Works at 825.1040.