Comprehensive Plan 2030
Featured Stories and Archives
Forms, Applications & Docs
Frequently Asked Questions
The City of St. Augustine remains committed to providing accessibility to all and provides for handicapped accessible parking in the city. For a map of accessible parking locations, Click Here To notify the city regarding accessibility concerns contact: Will Franke, Building Official, Phn: 904.825.1065, Fax: 904.209.4335, Email: email@example.com; or Todd Grant, Public Works Deputy Director, Phn: 904.825.1040, Fax: 904.209.4286, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also write either of these contacts at City of St. Augustine, P.O. Box 210, St. Augustine, FL 32085-0210.
Consumer Confidence Report
The City of St. Augustine remains committed to providing clean and safe drinking water. For the previous year's sampling results please click here. To notify the city regarding water treatment concerns contact: Patrick Timoney, Water Treatment Plant Supervisor, Phn: 904.825.1044, Fax: 904.823-2280, Email: email@example.com; or firstname.lastname@example.org, or write the City of St. Augustine, P.O. Box 210, St. Augustine, FL 32085-0210.
Walter B. Fraser, born in 1888, was one of nine children of a circuit Methodist minister. Graduating from Emory University, class of 1909, he served two years with the Trust Company of Georgia in Atlanta. In 1912 he assumed the position of Superintendent of Schools in Worth County, Georgia. It was from there he explored the vast area of southeast Georgia and north Florida. On one trip in 1927 he purchased the estate of Dr. Luella McConnell, known as the Fountain of Youth. This initiated his active political and business concerns in St. Augustine. From 1933-1943 he served on the City Commission, the last seven of those years as mayor. During that time he purchased the Oldest Orange Grove and the Oldest School House. He built WFOY radio and purchased the Markland estate adjacent to the Ponce de Leon Hotel. He served in the Florida Senate from 1944-1948. Civic activities included Kiwanis, Elks and Rotary club memberships.
During the 1930’s Fraser organized St. Augustine’s first formal restoration movement, Colonial St. Augustine, Inc. The corporate make-up was Fraser as Chairman, Dr. J. Hillis Miller, President of the University of Florida as Vice-Chairman; Dr. Curtis Wilgus, Dean of History for George Washington University as Treasurer; Dr. Ernesto Aguilla, Chairman of the Hispanic Foundation for the Library of Congress as Historian; Dr. Carna Wilgus, U.S. Envoy to the Organization of American States as Secretary; and Dr. Ernest Chorley, Secretary and First Vice President of the Rockefeller Foundation’s Colonial Williamsburg, Inc. as Chief Advisor.
This was the forerunner of the preservation program which became the Historic St. Augustine Preservation Board. Throughout this era, research was undertaken, properties were acquired, and significant sites were developed for interpretation.
Frazer donated statues of Ponce de Leon and Pedro Menendez which flank U.S. 1 at the North City Gate. Fraser spent the better part of his life in the service of discovery and interpretation of St. Augustine culture and history.
Oldest Wooden School House, 14 St. George Street
Website for the Oldest Wooden School House
To hear John R. Fraser, son of Walter Fraser, describing the early days of WFOY Radio in an interview conducted by Paul Courson of the Radio History Society, click here.