Comprehensive Plan 2030
Featured Stories and Archives
Forms, Applications & Docs
Frequently Asked Questions
The City of St. Augustine remains committed to providing accessibility to all and provides for handicapped accessible parking in the city. For a map of accessible parking locations, Click Here To notify the city regarding accessibility concerns contact Todd Grant, Public Works Deputy Director, Phn: 904.825.1040, Fax: 904.209.4286, Email: email@example.com. You may also write City of St. Augustine, P.O. Box 210, St. Augustine, FL 32085-0210.
Consumer Confidence Report
The City of St. Augustine remains committed to providing clean and safe drinking water. For the previous year's sampling results please click here. To notify the city regarding water treatment concerns contact: Patrick Timoney, Water Treatment Plant Supervisor, Phn: 904.825.1044, Fax: 904.823-2280, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; or email@example.com, or write the City of St. Augustine, P.O. Box 210, St. Augustine, FL 32085-0210.
Government House, one of the 32 state owned properties managed by the City of St. Augustine, stands guard over the west end of the Plaza de la Constitucion.
Endeavors to develop a colonial village of restored and reconstructed buildings in St. Augustine stretch back over 60 years. Valliant efforts by local governmental agencies and foundations with off and on support from state and national organizations have enjoyed sporadic success, but have often been interrupted by factors far from St. Augustine.
In the late 1950’s, intense planning for St. Augustine’s 400th anniversary began which served to stir renewed interest and support for a restored St. Augustine. The State of Florida, through the Historic St. Augustine Preservation Board, a state agency, led the way with an ambitious goal to acquire historic properties along St. George Street between Hypolita and Orange Streets for restoration or reconstruction.
That extensive project resulted in what has become known as ‘the restoration area" that today receives millions of visitors from around the world. Only the Castillo de San Marcos National Monument garners more recognition than that portion of St. George Street.
The state continued to manage the properties, over 30 in all, until 1997 when they were leased to the City of St. Augustine to be managed by the newly created Department of Heritage Tourism. In that initial agreement, the state provided the city with a onetime stipend of $ 425,000 over two years to assist in the transition of management of these valuable historic treasures. After that, it was up to the city to maintain and operate the properties.
Set up as an enterprise fund, thus required to be self-supporting, the Department of Heritage Tourism has met with tremendous success in the face of a great challenge over the last nine years by keeping the properties open and in good repair, some as rentals for retail outlets, most as part of the Colonial Spanish Quarter Museum, the city’s only living history museum.
In recent years, though, it has become clear that to ensure the future of these historic treasures, sustaining support from the state is essential. The state provides such support for similar isolated historic properties around the state, but not for St. Augustine’s even though our city holds the largest collection of such historic properties found anywhere in the Sunshine State.
In December, the City Commission passed a resolution supporting a determined effort to seek assistance from the state in the form of annual financial support. Over the last two months, numerous individuals, corporations, educational institutions and foundations have joined in this united effort by expressing their support that the state do the right thing and provide assistance for these historic treasures.
As the 2006 Legislative Session approaches, the city is stepping up its efforts to alert Florida lawmakers to this need and to garner their support. For more information on how to be a part of this effort, contact the Department of Heritage Tourism at P. O. Box 210, St. Augustine, FL, 32085 or call 904.825.5033.
For a list and photographs of the state owned/city managed historic properties, click here. (PDF)