Comprehensive Plan 2030
Featured Stories and Archives
Forms, Applications & Docs
Frequently Asked Questions
The City of St. Augustine remains committed to providing accessibility to all and provides for handicapped accessible parking in the city. For a map of accessible parking locations, Click Here To notify the city regarding accessibility concerns contact: Will Franke, Building Official, Phn: 904.825.1065, Fax: 904.209.4335, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; or Todd Grant, Public Works Deputy Director, Phn: 904.825.1040, Fax: 904.209.4286, Email: email@example.com. You may also write either of these contacts at City of St. Augustine, P.O. Box 210, St. Augustine, FL 32085-0210.
Consumer Confidence Report
The City of St. Augustine remains committed to providing clean and safe drinking water. For the previous year's sampling results please click here. To notify the city regarding water treatment concerns contact: Patrick Timoney, Water Treatment Plant Supervisor, Phn: 904.825.1044, Fax: 904.823-2280, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; or email@example.com, or write the City of St. Augustine, P.O. Box 210, St. Augustine, FL 32085-0210.
Tours offered four times daily through First Spanish Period structure
After an extensive renovation lasting over three years, the de Mesa Sanchez House, whose origins date to St. Augustine’s First Spanish Period, has re-opened. The well known structure, located at 43 St. George St., now offers a window onto life in St. Augustine’s earliest days as a part of the United States.
Escorted tours of the de Mesa house are available four times a day to visitors purchasing a package admission to the Colonial Spanish Quarter Museum and the Government House Museum of History and Archeology.
While the earliest days of the home dates back to the 1740’s, the period depicted is that of a century later when Florida became a territory of the United States and St. Augustine was its most thriving city.
The house’s long history starts about 1740 when Antionio de Mesa, an employee of the Royal Treasury, arrived in St. Augustine from Vera Cruz, Mexico, and built a one-story, square masonry building on the site. He lived here with his wife and seven children until forced to move to the Havana when the British took over ownership of Florida in 1763.
During the 20 years the British occupied the city (1764-1784), the de Mesa House was the home and office of New York merchant William Walton, who proceeded to enlarge the structure. After the Spanish returned in 1785, it was sold to Juan Sanchez, master caulker of the Royal Works, who added a second floor to the building.
Soon after Florida became a territory of the United States in 1821, James Lisk purchased the house and enlarged it again with the addition of a kitchen into the main building. He also added a balcony overlooking St. George Street and painted the house a brilliant pink color with ashlar scoring.
It passed through many owners until 1935, when the house was converted to a tourist attraction called “the Old Spanish Inn.” To give it a look of antiquity, the owner stripped the stucco from the coquina walls. Within thirty years, intrusive moisture had all but ruined the interiors. The Historic St. Augustine Preservation Board purchased the house in 1976 and restored it.
It was closed again in 2003 by the City of St. Augustine for renovation after more than twenty years of use. It is now returned to museum service for the enjoyment and education of residents and visitors to St. Augustine.
Visitors may purchase admission tickets at the Visitor Information Center or the entrance to the Colonial Spanish Quarter at 29 St. George Street.
The Colonial Spanish Quarter Museum is a living history museum staffed with costumed interpreters who relive a time when St. Augustine was a remote outpost of the Spanish Empire. The Colonial Spanish Quarter illustrates the life of Spanish soldiers and their families in 1740 St. Augustine. Tradesmen go about their occupations in blacksmithing, carpentry, leatherworking, candlemaking and other trades. The visitor experiences how families lived, maintained their households, cooked their food, and practiced their trades in 18th century St. Augustine.
Located in the heart of St. Augustine’s historic district on St. George Street and across the street from the Castillo de San Marcos National Monument, the museum is open 9:00am-5:30pm daily except for Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year's Day. Convenient parking is available nearby at the Historic Downtown Parking Facility.
For more information call 904.825.6830, fax 904.825.6874 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.