ADA Compliance
The City of St. Augustine remains committed to providing accessibility to all and provides for handicapped accessible parking in the city. For a map of accessible parking locations, Click Here To notify the city regarding accessibility concerns contact: Will Franke, Building Official, Phn: 904.825.1065, Fax: 904.209.4335, Email: wfranke@citystaug.com; or Todd Grant, Public Works Deputy Director, Phn: 904.825.1040, Fax: 904.209.4286, Email: tgrant@citystaug.com. You may also write either of these contacts at City of St. Augustine, P.O. Box 210, St. Augustine, FL 32085-0210.

Consumer Confidence Report
The City of St. Augustine remains committed to providing clean and safe drinking water. For the previous year's sampling results please click here. To notify the city regarding water treatment concerns contact: Patrick Timoney, Water Treatment Plant Supervisor, Phn: 904.825.1044, Fax: 904.823-2280, Email: ptimoney@citystaug.com; or woperators@citystaug.com, or write the City of St. Augustine, P.O. Box 210, St. Augustine, FL 32085-0210.

City Drills Three New Wells

Clean Safe Water for Generations to Come

 

In 2005 the Florida Legislature created the Florida Water Protection and Sustainability Program (WPSP) which encourages cooperation between the land use plans of local governments and the water supply plans of the state’s water management districts. The city and county both are in the St. Johns River Water Management District (SJRWMD) with headquarters in Palatka.


With a portion of funds from WPSP, the City of St. Augustine built, opened and dedicated the new low pressure reverse osmosis water treatment plant October 10, 2008. The water treatment plant is purposely designed to use water from deeper water sources.


At the time the new water treatment plant opened, the city had 14 wells, 10 of which were surficial aquifer wells and four were the Upper Floridan aquifer wells or deep wells. Twelve of the 14 were constructed in 1982 and two additional wells were added in 2004. Currently the city is using the four Upper Floridan aquifer deep wells. Three new 1500 gallon per minute Upper Floridan aquifer wells are under construction and once the new wells are in operation the city will continue to operate only one of the surficial wells.

In this area of the state, surficial or shallow wells are drilled to approximately 80 to 100 feet while Upper Floridan aquifer wells are drilled to approximately 450’ deep.


Increased withdrawals from the surficial aquifer can contribute to adverse environmental impacts to wetlands adjacent to the existing wells therefore the city proposed this proactive approach to long term water resource management by abandoning the surficial wells and installing the three new deep wells.


The one surficial well will remain in case of emergencies and recently one such emergency occurred. A main water break occurred in the county and the city used one of a number of interconnects with St. Johns County Utilities to supply water to their water distribution system. The city and county cooperate fully with each other to provide needed services to their residents.


The City of St. Augustine began the project of drilling the new wells in spring 2009 and the project is expected to be completed before the end of November 2009.


The city’s present well field is located north of State Road 16 and east of I-95 and runs north towards International Golf Parkway, very near St. Marks Pond Swamp.


The entire project will cost approximately $2,500,000 with the SJRWMD contributing about 40% of the cost and the city the remaining 60% from General Revenue funds.


With the new Upper Floridan aquifer wells, city residents and businesses can expect to receive clean safe water for generations to come.


For more information on the project call Public Works at 825.1040.

<Return Home