Comprehensive Plan 2030
Featured Stories and Archives
Forms, Applications & Docs
Frequently Asked Questions
The City of St. Augustine remains committed to providing accessibility to all and provides for handicapped accessible parking in the city. For a map of accessible parking locations, Click Here To notify the city regarding accessibility concerns contact Todd Grant, Public Works Deputy Director, Phn: 904.825.1040, Fax: 904.209.4286, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also write City of St. Augustine, P.O. Box 210, St. Augustine, FL 32085-0210.
Consumer Confidence Report
The City of St. Augustine remains committed to providing clean and safe drinking water. For the previous year's sampling results please click here. To notify the city regarding water treatment concerns contact: Patrick Timoney, Water Treatment Plant Supervisor, Phn: 904.825.1044, Fax: 904.823-2280, Email: email@example.com; or firstname.lastname@example.org, or write the City of St. Augustine, P.O. Box 210, St. Augustine, FL 32085-0210.
In a city known for its history, it is only fitting that the City Commission would recognize those who have made significant contributions to the furtherance of historic preservation. That was the goal of Vice Mayor Nancy Sikes-Kline when she proposed and the Commission agreed unanimously to create the Adelaide Sanchez Award for Historic Preservation, Restoration, Education and Interpretation last October.
The inaugural presentation of the award was made during the City Commission’s May 12 meeting with presentations being made to Sheila Greenleaf and The Historic Ice Plant.
Click here to see the awards presentation, which followed the Commission's 2014 Citizenship Awards to high school seniors.
The award’s namesake, Adelaide Sanchez, was a native of St. Augustine and worked at The St. Augustine Record from 1930 through 1943 where she was a reporter, features writer, society editor and the Associated Press correspondent. After leaving The Record, she joined the staff of The Miami Herald where she worked for 30 years serving as assistant woman’s editor for most of it covering numerous society events during those very formative three decades for the city. After her retirement in 1973, she returned to St. Augustine, and continued writing until her death in 1994 through newsletters for the Flagler Hospital Auxiliary and Trinity Episcopal Church and biographical sketches that were included in the program for Cross and Sword.
But it is her appreciation and love of the city’s historic resources, and her active promotion to ensure the preservation of those resources that has garnered this award being named in her honor. Indeed, her support of historic preservation was a classic example of “walking the walk.”
In accordance with her wishes, her home at 136 Marine St. was bequeathed to the Historic St. Augustine Preservation Board. After its abolishment, the property was transferred to the city which sold it and now holds the proceeds in trust and, again in accordance with her wishes, will use the interest earned for awards, programs and stipends whose goal is to advance the interests of historic restoration, preservation, education and interpretation.
Shelia Greenleaf was recognized for her work in not just preserving, but truly identifying a community artifact from the city’s history that was nearly lost. Standing alongside South Dixie Highway, just south of its intersection with State Road 207, is an unassuming structure many thought was a planter, and which was most recently used as a sign-mount for an adjacent trailer park. But Greenleaf identified it as a horse trough constructed by Albert Lewis in 1904 to provide a watering stop for horse and mule drawn wagons approaching the city from the south and west.
Greenleaf’s work resulted in the preservation of the artifact as well as the education of the community on the structure's significance by having a plaque installed at the site to ensure others will know the story of this unique 110 year old piece of history.
Her efforts were featured in The St. Augustine Record in a piece regarding the preservation of the trough. Read the story here: Historic trough has long been overlooked.
The Historic Ice Plant, one of St. Augustine’s most unique buildings from the early 20th Century, was presented with the Adelaide Sanchez Award in the category of Restoration and Preservation. Built between 1917 and 1924 and located at 112 Riberia St., the building manufactured ice, taking advantage of the then adjacent power plant operated by the forerunner of today’s Florida Power and Light. The ice was actually a byproduct from the steam boilers used to generate electricity, and was in huge demand by the city’s residents for their iceboxes, as well as the city’s hotels. Its location on Riberia St., which at the time was adjecent to the Florida East Coast Railroad facilities, also made it easy to serve the growing shipments of fresh produce and shrimp by refrigerated railroad cars.
Ryan Dettra, Mike Diaz, Phil McDaniel, and Patricia McLemore, who will receive the award on behalf of The Ice Plant, recently opened companion businesses, St. Augustine Distillery, a craft liquor distillery, and The Ice Plant, an upscale restaurant/specialty cocktail lounge in the re-purposed building. Unlike some preservation projects where just the exterior is saved, the four involved in this project have preserved much of the interior character of the structure, and it is their commitment to this comprehensive historic preservation project that has earned them the award.