Comprehensive Plan 2030
Featured Stories and Archives
Forms, Applications & Docs
Frequently Asked Questions
The City of St. Augustine remains committed to providing accessibility to all and provides for handicapped accessible parking in the city. For a map of accessible parking locations, Click Here To notify the city regarding accessibility concerns contact Todd Grant, Public Works Deputy Director, Phn: 904.825.1040, Fax: 904.209.4286, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also write City of St. Augustine, P.O. Box 210, St. Augustine, FL 32085-0210.
Consumer Confidence Report
The City of St. Augustine remains committed to providing clean and safe drinking water. For the previous year's sampling results please click here. To notify the city regarding water treatment concerns contact: Patrick Timoney, Water Treatment Plant Supervisor, Phn: 904.825.1044, Fax: 904.823-2280, Email: email@example.com; or firstname.lastname@example.org, or write the City of St. Augustine, P.O. Box 210, St. Augustine, FL 32085-0210.
Government House located at 48 King St., is a stately Georgian Style stone mansion facing the 410-year old Plaza in the center of St. Augustine and occupies the site that throughout the colonial period (1565-1821) housed the residence and office of the colonial governors of Florida. The east wing of the present structure dates from 1710, when it was rebuilt following British destruction of the city in 1702. During the American Revolutionary War period (1763-1784), the British governors of East Florida ruled the loyal colony from this building, which was the scene of especially lavish parties under Governor James Grant.
Here, in 1821, the Spanish Governor turned over control of East Florida to the United States, ending the 256-year long era of colonial control. During the American Civil War (1861-1865), Government House contained a military hospital. For much of the nineteenth century and early decades of the twentieth century, the building served as a U.S. courthouse and customs house. In 1937, under the auspices of the Works Progress Administration (WPA), Government House was remodeled and enlarged for use as a U.S. Post Office.
The State of Florida took over the building in 1964 as the headquarters for its local historic preservation effort. An excellent museum was created on the first floor in 1991, displaying among other exhibits archaeological artifacts unearthed in the Ancient City, a recreated colonial era ship's hold, a prehistoric Indian canoe, authentic colonial weaponry, and gold and silver pieces from Spanish shipwrecks. The museum offers an informative introduction to the city's more than four centuries of recorded history.
In addition to housing a museum, Government House has a banquet room, the Sala de Montiano and an adjoining courtyard, which are popular locations for wedding receptions and rehearsal dinners. Throughout the years, Government House has provided the starting and ending point for Spanish and British re-enactment ceremonies.
Hours: Daily from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
For more information, call 904.825.5079.
To view the Government House Museum Photo Gallery, click here.